Use and maintenance of stainless steel products
The best selling Reginox sink unit by far is manufactured from stainless steel. Stainless steel is a metal alloy, the most important elements of which are chrome and nickel. Stainless steel gets its lustre from the chrome and its stainless quality from the nickel. Stainless is a slightly different quality to rust free. Stainless steel may be prone to surface rust, but only as a result of prolonged contact with base metals.
Adhering to the maintenance tips will ensure that you enjoy your sink unit for even longer. If you handle your sink unit with care, it will retain its quality and appearance for much longer. Tips on how to enjoy your Reginox products for longer are given below.
Cleaning your stainless steel sink unit
For everyday maintenance we advise using clean water only, although you can add a mild soap. To remove coffee, tea and fat deposits you should only use a liquid cleaning agent that does not contain bleach, such as Cif. If you use a scouring pad you should scour in the same direction as the surface polish.
Preventing damage: dents and scratches
The sink unit is used on a daily basis, which makes light surface dents and scratches unavoidable. The sink unit may become damaged if it is treated too roughly. Therefore, you should always be careful when placing objects on the unit or on the draining section. Damage can also be minimized by making sure that objects do not rub against the surface.
Never place hot pans on the draining section or in the sink. Always use a pan protector in or on the sink unit.
Stains caused by chemical substances
The quality of the sink unit will be damaged if it is exposed to harsh chemicals. If the surface is exposed to harsh chemicals for a long period of time an oxidization process may occur, which will cause the stainless steel to rust. The sink unit is manufactured from grade 304 stainless steel.
This means that the sink unit is not resistant to acid and is only suitable for household use. You are advised to prevent the sink unit from coming into contact with the following chemicals: S-39 solder flux, paint stripping agents, brush cleaners, metal shavings, agents for removing the grouting between tiles and paving, agents for unblocking drains, silver cleaner (blue liquid) and adhesives.
Should the sink unit come into contact with one of the above-mentioned chemicals, the following action should be taken:
- Rinse the affected surface immediately using plenty of water;
- Rub the affected surface dry;
- Treat the resulting stains with Inox Care;
- If a rust spot develops the surface should be treated with a liquid scouring agent, a hard brush or with Scotch Brite. Scotch Brite is an artificial scouring sponge that is also used alternatively during the worktop manufacturing process.
- Never cut directly on a worktop: this will cause irreparable scratches. Always use a chopping board.
- Never cut into the joints or seams. Never remove the sealant from the seams around the sink unit or hotplate.
- Never slide hard materials such as chinaware back and forth over a worktop.
For maintenance of your Reginox kitchen unit or worktop we advise you to use Reginox Inox Care regularly.